Saturday, December 27, 2014

Red Rocks Gorge

Red Rocks Gorge 26-12-14: Annika Romeyn, watercolour, 2014, 18 x 25 cm

I hope you are all having a joyous festive season and I wish you all the best for a happy and productive 2015! After a lovely relaxing Christmas with family, my parents accompanied me on a Boxing Day painting excursion to Red Rocks Gorge (Murrumbidgee River), one of my favourite places close to home (Canberra, Australia). It was a brilliant sunny day after a string of summer thunder-storms. It was a great challenge painting the strong sunlight moving across the faceted rock and reflecting up from rippling water below. I love sitting and drawing while listening to the rushing sound of nearby rapids, which remind me of the forces of movement and erosion that are slowly, but constantly carving and shaping the landscape.